Thursday, April 8, 2010

God's little instruction book

I've got a small list of blog topics I'm trying to get to, but in the mean time, here's a little something for y'all. I received a list of religious aphorisms - kind of "God's Little Instruction Book" things. I'll admit to sometimes being a sucker for these pithy little numbers, so here are two that I really liked:

"It's easier to preach ten sermons than it is to live one."

"Coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous."

And, one that I think they got wrong:

"Don't put a question mark where God put a period"


Anyone who reads this blog knows that I think that this last one is exactly reversed. The question marks are much more important than the periods or, especially, the exclamation marks. And, while we're at it, anyone who knows ancient Hebrew knows that there was no punctuation, anyway. So, it's totally possible that we've misunderstood a lot, just based on punctuation.

[an aside off of an aside: don't think punctuation matters? Check out these two sentences:

A woman without her man is useless.
A woman: without her, man is useless.

]

1 comment:

Mike S said...

Funny, I always thought the quote was, "don't put a period where god put a comma."