Friday, August 21, 2009

A Philosophy of Torah

Cleaning up my office, I came across this lovely little teaching:

Rabbi Yehuda Amital was once asked to sum up his philosophy of Torah.  In response, he told this story:

Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi (also know as The Alter Rebbe, was once studying Torah in his room when he heard his infant grandson crying in his cradle.  The Rebbe closed his book, but went into the baby's room and soothed him back to sleep.  He then went into the adjoining room where he found his son, the baby's father, steeped in Torah study. The rebbe turned to his son in astonishment and asked, "why didn't you get up to pacify your crying son?"

The bewildered son looked up and answered, "I was so immersed in my study that I didn't even hear him cry."

The rebbe then declared, "if someone is studying Torah and fails to hear the crying of a baby, there is something very wrong with his learning."

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: