Thursday, May 7, 2009

Prostitution

I'm not sure exactly what I want to say about this, or what I can add to it. I'll admit that issues of this size often leave me feeling helpless. I can talk about them from the bimah, and that's important, but it clearly isn't enough. And, there are so many issues out there - this one, Darfur, poverty, slavery, etc, etc, etc - that it's hard to know which one to talk about. Part of me feels like, every time I get up to speak, it should be about one of these issues. But, I know that, in the end, that's not effective - people will simply tune out if every message is about some (very important) cause or another.

So, while I try to sort out that end of it, at least click through to the article, and see if you have any ideas about what we can do.

1 comment:

Phyllis Sommer said...

i love his columns because he brings up these issues that no one is talking about....but then i, like you, struggle with what to do with them. do we preach or teach about it? or are you right and people are tuning us out...hmmm...