Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Advice

Today, we met with the mayor of Sederot. You may have heard of this city - it was the target of a vicious bombing campaign - starting in 2001, Hamas started launching missiles, regularly, into the city, hoping to hit - well, to hit something. The started launching missiles just before and after school times, hoping to hit a bus. It went on for 8 years and 8000 missiles, until Israel finally launched Operation Cast Lead, hoping to put an end to the attacks.

Israel was condemned by much of the world for having the audacity to kill Gazans.

When I've got more time, and a better keyboard, I'll write more about this, but I want to pass on one quick story from my visit with the Mayor. I asked him what he would tell the Prime Minister, if asked for advice about how to proceed with Peace Talks and the Palestinian negotiations. He answered with a story.

A man goes to his Rabbi and tells him of a problem. "I have 100 chickens, and a few of them died last night. What should I do?"

"Do you feed them a lot or a little?"

"A little."

"Feed them a lot."

The next day, the man comes back. "Rabbi, last night, 20 chickens died. What should I do?"

"Do you give them a lot or a little to drink?"

"A little."

"Give them a lot."

The next day..."Rabbi, now 30 died last night."

"Are they free range?"

"No."

"Let them roam."

The next day? "Rabbi, now they're all dead."

" Oy. I'm really sorry to hear this. I had a lot more advice to offer you!"

No comments: