Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Does God make mistakes?

You know, I have a soft spot in my heart for anyone who can make a cogent, rational, calm argument about an emotional issue, especially one which is a big hot-button. I still believe deep down that we'd be so much better off as a society if we could speak strongly but quietly about the most important issues. So, I was deeply impressed by the compelling, measured comments made by Minnesota rep Steve Simon about homosexuality:

But, I was also impressed, more specifically, by his religious argument. It's one I've used, but I don't know that I've ever expressed it as well as he does.

There are a lot of homosexuals in our world. A lot. Millions. Probably hundreds of millions.

Does God make that many mistakes?

I mean, if God really hates fags, why does God make so many of them?

Seems like an important question to me. Especially to those of us who claim to be religious. 

I wish that those who are so sure of what God wants, and what God thinks, would be a bit more careful with their surety. Maybe God is telling exactly what S/He wants, when S/He makes it so.

No comments: